A George II silver tankard, of circular form, with a stepped domed lid, pierced shell capped and scroll thumb handle and scroll ear handle, the plain waisted body on circular foot, London 1748, maker possibly James Phipps, approximately 42oz, 25cm high.
A George III silver gilt vase and cover, hallmarked London 1809, maker's mark of Benjamin Smith I and James Smith The cover with horse finial, the body serpent cast twin handles, standing on an acanthus cast fluted foot, with presentation inscription from the Hampshire Agricultural Society. 40 cms high.
An antique mahogany dish topped silver table. Carved with scrolls and acanthus leaves, with shaped apron and raised on cabriole supports terminating with ball and claw feet, 80cm. Some splits to the top. Re polished.
PAIR DIAMOND STUD EARRINGS IN 18CT GOLD SETTING, THE BRILLIANT-CUT DIAMONDS APPROX 0.60 CARATS IN TOTAL
WWII – German Propaganda Der Adler – two editions , October 21st and November 18th 1941. Rare editions in English
India – Account of Maharajah Ranjit Singh’s Court Physician Fine leather bound first edition of ‘Früchteausdem Morgenlande’, (Fruits from the Morning Land) by Dr Martin Honigberger London 1851. Includes an amazing lithographed folding panorama of Lahore during the Sikh reign and 38 engraved plates and a map full leather with original gilt label on spine pp590. Plates include portraits of all the prominent members of the Lahore Durbar including Maharaja Ranjit Singh and his wife Jinda and son Duleep Singh, Maharaja Karak Singh and Sher Singh. An extremely scarce work. Honigberger was a personal physician to Maharaja Ranjit Singh. Khushwant Singh’s History of the Sikhs Princeton N.J. 1963-1966 describes him as the Hungarian doctor Honigberger who mixed gunpowder for the artillery and distilled brandy for the Maharajah. He was in fact from the town of Kronstadt Central Romania. A highly sought after work.
A Late Georgian Antique Mahogany Specimen Collectors Cabinet Of Impressive Size. The cabinet in original unrestored condition. Recently removed from a college museum where it housed a collection of coins. Pull out drawers with Ivory knobs when the drawers exposed they reveal an unusual double glazed casing each with their own brass locks. Ideal for a gentleman collectors of fossils to silver items. Doors to front. 38'' in width, 19'' in depth & 47'' in height.
A 19thC French carved ivory figure, of a winged female suspended on a tree stump, 37cm high plus 6cm socle.
DIAMOND SOLITAIRE RING, THE BRILLIANT-CUT DIAMOND OF 1.90 CARATS TO AN 8 CLAW SETTING MARKED PLATINUM AND WITH DECORATIVE SHOULDERS WITH CERTIFICATE, COLOUR F, CLARITY SI1
Unusual Minature Stone Garden Church Of Fine Quality constructed and detailing with Gothic leaded windows, slate tiled roof, iron clad door all with walls constructed in individual sand stone bricks. Surmounted with a church bell tower. Early 20th Century. 26'' in height, 40'' in length, 19'' in width.
R.A.F. Sector Clock, the 8 day fusee anchor movement by Elliott, No. 8235, 1939, with typical dial in red, yellow & blue triangles, 12 & 24 hour chapters in mahogany case stamped '19' & '19P', 18'' diam. Provenance: believed to be Carlisle Airfield.
A 19thC bracket clock, the ebonised case with an arched dial headed by gilt metal finials, fronted by a mask head, the 18cm silvered dial signed Evans & Sons Handsworth, revealing an eight-day double chain fusee movement, striking on the hour, the case raised on gilt metal scroll feet, 77cm high.
A 19thC Chinese polychrome enamelled porcelain bottle vase, the waisted neck decorated with auspicious symbols, the body depicting two large iron-red confronting dragons chasing the flaming pearl, above a band of foaming green ocean waves , bearing iron-red six character Qianlong mark to underside 15” high
A green resin figure of a young woman on stepped white marble base – 16”h.
An early 20thC slate and marble mantel clock, with gilt dial surround, Roman numerals, minute track and gilt breguet hands, with marble dial inset, French 8-day movement striking on bell, possibly made by Leroy Et Fils, Paris, 19cm x 26cm.
A pair of late 19thC Japanese satsuma bulb vases, each with five cylindrical holders painted in polychrome enamels and gilt outlines and stippling, with three character black painted marks to the base, 20.3cm high
SAPPHIRE & DIAMOND SET CLUSTER RING - THE OVAL SAPPHIRE IN A SURROUND OF APPROX 1.00 CARAT OF BRILLIANT CUT DIAMONDS
An early twentieth century Italian cello in fitted hard case. Label reads Giuseppe Fiorini, De Bologna, Pece in Roma anno 1923, 75cm. Peg repair where the neck meets the body.
After Giambologna. Mercury & Fortuna, a pair of late 19th/early 20thC bronze figures, each mounted on a stepped marble bases, 48cm high
A 20thC Dutch silver miniature kitchen in 17thC style, to include bird cage with bird, dresser with hinged doors containing a set of eight plates, ironing board and iron, table with four chairs, a fire grate with back, wall clock, chandelier, coffee grinder, log bucket, basket, baby chair, fire irons, implements on stand, bellows, cauldron, a pair of candlesticks, peat box, kettle etc, compete with original listing, purchased from James R Ogden of Harrogate, supplied by Garrard & Co Limited, of London.
A late 18th/early 19th century enamel box The hinged circular lid centred with a cherub filled vignette and bordered by gilt floral scrollwork, the main body with various scenic vignettes. 9 cms diameter.
A 19thC cavalry sabre sword, of typical curved form, with an engraved blade, and an ivory strap handle with brass lion head, with a leather and brass scabbard, 88cm long.
A 19thC bone shaker bicycle with stand
A scratch built twin masted pond yacht, approx 110cm long x 190cm high.
Wm. MOORE & GREY A FINE 8-BORE DOUBLE-BARREL HAMMER GUN, NO. 4375, A TWO BARREL SET 35 3/4-inch damascus barrels with 3 1/4-inch chambers, about improved cylinder borings, the interchangeable 36-inch damascus barrels with 3 1/4-inch chambers, about 3/4 and full choke borings, the extractors numbered ''1'' and ''2'', the frame, rebounding bar locks, hammers and rotary underlever with fine scroll engraving surrounding scenes of dogs and geese against marshy backgrounds, retaining some original hardening colour, 14 1/4-inch well figured stock with pistol grip including rubber recoil pad, 14lb. 1oz., nitro proof S58
Impressive George IV silver gilt cup of campana shape with embossed yachting scene, buildings behind, between chased bands of flowers & ivy, with leafage & bellflower handles upon similar foot, the cover with bands of acanthus & sprays, the finial modelled as a sailor & anchor, Emes & Barnard, 1828, 15˝'', 77 oz.
A Gunthermann tin plate model of Bluebird Lithograph printed decoration, marked Foreign. 51.5 cms long.
A 19th century Continental porcelain plaque Enamel decorated with Madonna del Dito, after Carlo (or Carlino) Dolci (1616-1686) Italian, framed and glazed. 8 x 12.5 cms.
A 19th century chromed desk top barometer by or retailed by Betjemann Formed as a ship's wheel, on plinth base, the silvered dial incorporating a thermometer. 34.5 cms high.
DIAMOND SOLITAIRE RING, THE PRINCIPAL BRILLIANT-CUT DIAMOND OF APPROX 1.60 CARATS & THE DIAMOND SET SHOULDERS APPROX 1.60 CARATS IN TOTAL
WILLIAM HENRY WHEELWRIGHT. A Victorian reeded oak three fold screen with twelve original paintings, each of the four leaves has three panels in the form of original paintings in oils of coaching scenes by William Henry Wheelwright. Ten of these are signed & mainly dated 1886. Four - 23˝'' x 20''; Eight - 14'' x 20''.
Ephemera -France pictorial advertising fan showing a large expensive restaurant in Paris. Circa 1870s -90s. Detailed engraved illustration of a large number of people seated in the restaurant with giant chandeliers. Oval at left of waiter and four people at table drinking a toast. On reverse name of the restaurant and legend; Taverne Olympia Restaurant, Toute la Nuit, 2, GrandsOrchestresSoupers. Champagne Piper Heidsieck. Spans over 12” × 7¾” when open.
A silver lidded cut glass cotton wool holder by J & R GRIFFIN – Chester (probably 1915) and 2 other Chester silver mounted glass items.
An early nineteenth century French large patinated bronze table clock. Housing an eight day movement with enamel dial signed indistint chiming half hourly on a bell. With cupid seated beside the timepiece reading from a scroll in one hand and writing on another, his bow and quiver discarded to the floor and with a partridge behind him. Raised over an ovoid plinth with wreath moulding, 45cm high, 50cm wide. No pendulum or key. Bird mount loose.
JOHN WILKES A MAGNIFICENT PAIR OF KELL-ENGRAVED 12-BORE SIDELOCK EJECTOR GUNS, NOS. 13802/3 28-inch barrels with 2 1/2-inch chambers, about 1/4 and 3/4 choke borings, matted top ribs, the frames, locks and gold numbered top levers with best bouquet and scroll engraving and retaining virtually all of their original hardening colour, the inside of the fore-end irons with further bouquet and scroll engraving, gold washed lockwork, rolled edge trigger guards, 14 1/2-inch highly figured exhibition quality stocks, inlaid in gold with the entwined initials ''W.D.'', 6lb. 9oz., nitro proof, in their maker's presentation case with engraved fittings and canvas outer cover S2 The maker confirms that the guns were completed on 24th August 1935 for W. W. Dowding. The guns were engraved by Harry Kell with special flower and scroll work and the guns remain as originally built. The original cost was £220 with the case costing £13 15s and the matching outer cover a further £5 12s 6d. W. W. Dowding William W. Dowding, for whom these guns were made, was one of the Wilkes' largest retail customers in the 1930s. He started to buy guns from them in 1931 and in the course of the next five years ordered a total of ten new guns as well as buying others and a wide variety of shooting requisites. The story passed down the family was that in 1933 Dowding challenged Jack Wilkes to make for him a pair of guns that were on a par with the best the London trade could offer. Guns 13802/3 were Jack's response to that challenge. Many years later his sons viewed this pair of guns as his masterpiece. To make them, Wilkes went to many of the best outworkers in the the London trade. George Lane and Bolter normally worked for Woodward; Mealey at the time was on Wilkes' payroll, but had worked for Grant & Lang and several others in a very long career; and Willie Lane was shortly to join Grant & Lang's payroll. The engraver Harry Kell is probably the only outworker now widely known.
A 19thC Chinese porcelain four tier cylindrical covered jar, painted in scattered auspicious symbols, the domed cover with metal central handle, pale pink Chinese fret border on yellow ground, each section having two pairs of moulded eyes for handle fittings, the underside of base with rubbed red seal mark, 9.5” high overall
A suite of Victorian Scottish silver Kings pattern flatware, by James & William Marshall Edinburgh, various dates, comprising twelve table forks, twelve dessert forks, eighteen table spoons, twelve dessert spoons, gravy spoon, pair of sauce ladles and a soup ladle, 135oz gross
A small art nouveau copper cased mantel clock – 5”h.
A vintage Louis Vuitton cabin trunk, with lath bands and leather bindings, having stamped brass studs, fittings and lock, with two carrying handles and on roller casters, 76cm x 49cm x 55cm.
A single ibex horn – 27”.
A. A. BROWN & SON A FINE 20-BORE ''SUPREME DELUXE'' MODEL SELF-OPENING SIDELOCK EJECTOR GUN, NO. 79770 25-inch chopper-lump barrels with 2 3/4-inch chambers, about 1/4 and 1/2 choke borings, the frame, locks and top lever engraved with Celtic strapwork around highly detailed scenes of game birds in flight, the right lock with a fox and flighting duck, the left lock with grouse and a bird of prey, the action base with a snipe, retaining much of its original polished and colour-hardened finish, gold lined cocking indicators and gold washed lockwork, rolled edge trigger guard, 15-inch highly figured stock, 5lb. 10oz., nitro proof, lightweight leather case S2 The maker confirms that the gun was ordered in July 1994. It was engraved by W. Marshall, an engraver based in Scotland, and that it was completed in July 1996. The gun appears relatively little used.
Signed by the American Colonist John White ? Elizabeth I – the Throckmorton Plot - [John White artist and early American Colonist ] An Answer unto a certain calumnious letter published by M. Job Throkmorton and entitled A Defence of I Throkmorton against the slaunders of M Sutcliffe, London 1595, 4to 84pp, later crude card covers, ex libris the Monastery of St Augustine, Ramsgate. Dusting to outer pages but appears complete and overall in good condition. Bearing on the back page the signature ‘John White...Corke’. An intriguing and potentially important signature as this could be the signature of the famous artists and early American Colonist John White, who was amongst some of the earliest colonists of America and who became Governor of Sir Walter Raleigh’s failed attempt at a permanent settlement on Roanoke Island, known to history as the ‘Lost Colony’. White was probably born around 1540 and some accounts set his death at 1593 – but this is only conjecture and based on the last known letter he wrote which was in that year. The application of the location of ‘Corke’ to the present signature is however significant in that it is known that after the failure of his adventures in the New World, White spent his last days in County Cork where he owned at house at Kilmore. It is quite possible therefore that he did live beyond 1593 making the signature on this volume, dated 1595, as possibly genuine. The only other extant record dates from May 1606 when a Bridget White was appointed estate administrator for her brother ‘John White’ which may refer to him- however, even this is not proven to be that of the American Colonist. The book itself deals with the aftermath of the notorious Throckmorton Plot to assassinate Elizabeth I
A LATE VICTORIAN HAND WROUGHT SILVER SIDEBOARD DISH BY GILBERT MARKS, LONDON 1897, ENGRAVED WITH SIGNATURE TO EDGE OF DISH
An early Chinese gold hollow figure of a man with ornate headdress carrying a large lizard (or small dragon) on his shoulders, in full length robe on rectangular pedestal base, 4.5” high
A fine signed wartime photograph of Winston Churchill Autograph – Winston Churchill fine black and white 8x10 press photograph showing Churchill with A V Alexander, First Lord of the Admiralty, outside Downing Street during the winter of 1941, boldly signed by Churchill and Alexander on the image, also dated in Churchill’s hand. Mounted on card.
A Chinese archaistic jade bi disc Of flattened trilobed form. 22 cms wide.
A pair of Chinese moon flasks, of typical form with heart headed handles decorated in underglaze blue set with panels of figures in flowing robes on oval feet, Jiaqing marks beneath but Qing dynasty, 25cm high. (2)
HOLLOWAY & NAUGHTON A FINE 20-BORE SINGLE TRIGGER OVER AND UNDER EJECTOR GUN, NO. 20-31 29 1/2-inch barrels with 2 3/4-inch chambers, about 1/4 and 1/2 choke borings, file-cut solid rib, the frame, locks and top lever with fine bouquet and scroll engraving and retaining most of its original hardening colour, the action base engraved with a pheasant, the trigger plate signed ''Delauhaut'', gold lined cocking indicators, rolled edge trigger guard with gold inlay, 14 1/2-inch highly figured stock with straight hand, 6lb. 9oz., nitro proof, in its maker's lightweight leather case S2 The gun was completed in 2005 and remains relatively little used. It is built using the classic Boss-type self-opening action and displays all the refinements that you would expect of a very best quality gun by either of these makers.
Victorian oak hall letter box in the form of a rectangular sentry box with slatted peaked roof & sides, the door with hinged flap inscribed ''Letters'' above glazed arched original watercolour panel depicting a soldier of the Northumberland Artillery Militia, painted by Harry Payne, (18)84, with presentation plaque beneath inscribed ''From Captn. F. D Blake, July 1884'', with regimental badge to pediment. Retailer's plaque for W. Thornhill, New Bond Street & diamond registration plaque to back, 21˝'' high.
An exceptional and finely carved Chinese ivory tusk, depicting warriors on horseback, standard bearers, various script markings, 19thC, 35cm high.
A diamond solitaire ring, round brilliant cut stone:- 9.32mm x 9.34mm x 5.63mm, approximately 3.03 carats, ring size Q, white metal, marks indistinct, 3.87g all in.
Worcester Porcelain: Early Georgian black shagreen knife box with brass mounts containing a set of twelve pairs of steel knives & three pronged forks with Worcester porcelain blue & white pistol handles, the ''Rose and Floral Sprays'' pattern'', the knife blades with crown marks, G.R. & JEFRIS, c1758-60, the knives 11ź'' long, the forks 8ž'' long & the box 8ž'' wide. (See Branyon, French & Sandon, page 258).
A Chinese bronze temple incense burner formed as a Kylin, with hinged head and of stout proportions, 28cm high. Repair to the tail.
To be sold lot 875 Late Thursday afternoon. ZHANG DA ZHONG 'A most evocative major work, oil on canvas titled ''The Patriot''. Da Zhong became an artist relatively late in life. During the days of the Cultural Revolution, in the late 1980's Zhang finally went to school and eventually got a Masters of Fine Art from the Guangzhou Fine Arts Academy. At this time he specialised in political art which made him famous in China, particularly for painting a series of works featuring girls of the Red Guards. During the time of Mao's Cultural Revolution (1965-1968) women were encouraged not to be women, but to be part of the Homogeneous mass, androgynous workers wore loose clothing and bowed their heads to hide their natural curves. Zhang's sister and friends were members of the Red Guard who were subdued to this rigid policy. Zhang brought them back to life in a series of paintings intended to enhance the rare femininity and feelings of these women in contact with the combat environment . From these beginnings he continued to paint this central theme, depicting beautiful Chinese women in Red Guard attire. This style developed to date, further enhancing his reputation in this field. Zhang was born in Guangzhou in 1953 and is now a celebrated portrait artist, renowned for his Red Guard Series. To date he has been showered with many awards within China and outside, 1990, ''Girl From The Yao Tribe'' 11th Asia Olympics', Chinese Sports Art Exhibition, 1992, Golden Hope Gold Medal Award, ''A Prosperous China'' Award Competition, 2000 ''How Steel is Made'' Outstanding Award, ''Love For China'' Art Exhibition', just to name a few. His paintings have been sold in all the major auction houses of the world and his works have continued to increase in value over the past 10 years. He had a solo exhibition in Hong Kong in 2004, titled ''China Circa 1968''. He has works in public collections and museums in China. His works continue to be purchased by major galleries, museums, art galleries and private collections worldwide, in Australia, Austria, Belgium, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Holland, Philippines, Singapore, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom and United States, to mention a few, such is his reputation to date and popular appeal of his subject matter. The painting we are offering at our auction is considered to be his best, most important work to date. It shows a female Red Guard in uniform, holding a machine gun, with arms outstretched in a most exuberant pose of beauty and confidence. The size of the painting is 120 by 100 cms. It is signed in Chinese by the artist. The painting was done in 2006 and purchased by the vendor in Hong Kong, from the Connoisseur Art Gallery, the artist's agent. The original Certificate of Authenticity and receipt from the Connoisseur Gallery is included. This is a genuine work by Zhang Da Zhong and is of the date stated in this preamble. A fine major work.
Art Nouveau Cabinet Of Unusual Form, with a glazed top with moulded glass. Astral glazing to the front & side, with an inlaid floral pediment. With five drawers on bracket feet. 24'' in width, 54'' in height & 17'' in depth.
A Georgian enamelled bonbonniere in the form of a horse's head with blue eyes & bridle, the circular hinged cover painted with a scene showing a huntsman clearing a fence, 3”
A Regency figured mahogany musical granddaughter clock with 8 day triple fusee movement striking on eight bells and a gong. The pagoda top with bronze mounted Corinthian column supports houses a brass arch topped dial with painted moon roller and silvered chapter ring framing a painted maritime scene. The case is further adorned with reeded quarter columns, blind fret carving and is supported on splay bracket supports, 218cm high. Dial painting re finished. Case in good order. Mechanism working.
UKauctioneers.com brings the world of fine art and antique auctions to your fingertips. It’s the place to browse auction catalogues online, leave commission bids, check auction sale results and much more.
Search through 11990 lots!