- Sale: Fine Art - Books, Maps & Manuscripts
- Auction House: Lawrences Auctioneers (Crewkerne)
- Date: Friday 20 July 2012
- MILLS, CLIFFORD, author of Where the Rainbow Ends, (1861 - 1933). The archive of Emilie Clifford (nee Bennet, married Harold Mills Clifford in 1889) who used a variant of her husband's name in order to get her work published. Contained in a large trunk, comprising: Where the Rainbow Ends, the original manuscript, c. 1911, approx. 130 pp. in ink including rough stage sketches; 2 typescripts of the same, one with ms. alterations and stage instructions; typescript of the book, published by Hodder & Stoughton; typescript of the revised edition by her daughter Evelyn Shillington, 1972; file of correspondence, contracts, press cuttings, poster, periodicals etc.; photographs including signed photograph of Anton Dolin (real name Patrick Kay, a famous St. George); Evelyn Shillington's autograph album with signatures, and drawings including four watercolours of Red Indian head-dresses, signed photographs etc. of actors and others relating to performances of the play which was first produced on 21st December 1911, including two signatures of Noel Coward (William the page boy), Reginald Owen (St. George), Charles Hawtrey, (producer), Roger Quilter, (composer, with line of musical notation), John Gilpin, Valentine Dyall, Italia Conti and Alicia Markova. The original manuscript of The Basker,  with typescript; The Luck of the Navy , various typescripts, including screen adaptation by Evelyn Shillington, programme for the film, and printed version. Typescripts of seven further plays including Dr. Johnson at Home and The Dream Ship (2 of them incomplete). The original manuscripts of two short stories: The Departure of the Subaltern and God's Sparrows, with typescripts of the same; typescripts of 6 further short stories, and a bundle of the periodicals in which they were published. Three printed copies of Dear Mr. Ghost, A Christmas Story, Dean & Son,n.d. (2 of them lacking a wrapper). Also included are typescripts of seventeen fairy stories by Evelyn Shillington, and two bundles of typescript diaries, 1931 - 47, with accounts of travels in Japan and China in 1934, and time spent in Italy after the war with her husband Brig. Rex Shillington, including an eye witness account of the trial of Field Marshal Albert Kesselring in Venice. The play Where the Rainbow Ends was phenomenally successful. It became an annual Christmas event, a rival to Peter Pan, and was staged every year until the early 1950's.
- Estimate: £1,000.00 - £2,000.00
This sale took place on Friday 20 July 2012
Login or REGISTER to bid on this item today.