- Sale: Fine Art - Books, Maps & Manuscripts
- Auction House: Lawrences Auctioneers (Crewkerne)
- Date: Friday 20 July 2012
- AUSTRALIA. Collection of drawings, mainly by Eliza, Lady Hodgson, but including an example by Conrad Martens, and another attributed to him. Comprising: Martens, Conrad. "Eton Vale Arthur Hodgson Esq.", signed and dated 1853. Pencil with ink highlights. 21 x 32.5 cms. Two Cottages, pencil with grey wash highlights. 16.5 x 23.5 cms., unsigned. Unframed. Hodgson, Arthur ? "Head Station Eton Vale Darling Downs", December 1st 1841, inscribed thus on reverse. Pencil drawing, framed, 19.5 x 31 cms. An important sketch, showing bales of wool produced during the second shearing season at Eton Vale, with details of the buildings, two drays, and bar probably used for hanging up the carcases of slaughtered animals etc. Hodgson, Eliza, Lady. Group of nine sepia and wash drawings, various sizes, unframed: From Sandygate, Queensland August 1868; Westbrook, Darling Downs, Queensland January 1869; Westbrook and Mr. Maclean's Monument, n.d. (J.D. Maclean, Colonial Treasurer of Queensland); Eton Vale looking towards the Range, Darling Downs; Eton Vale from the hill behind, Sept. 1868; Goomburra from the house, Darling Downs, August 1869; Goomburra looking to the house, August 1869; Moray Fields, Cabulture River Sugar plantation October 1868; From the veranda, Montpelier House, Brisbane, n.d.; two small watercolours of Clarence and Rocky River (Queensland); group of six pencil drawings, various sizes, unframed, including Brisbane October 1850, and another of the Mayor's Residence and Hospital, and 7 others, probably by other hands, including views of Brisbane and Eton Vale. The view of Brisbane dated 1850 is particularly valuable for the topographical information at this early date. The building in the centre is typical of those built about 1827 by the convicts with tiny window frames which were superceded about 1829. Conrad Martens (1801 - 78), landscape watercolourist who studied under Copley Fielding. He sailed with Darwin on the second voyage of the Beagle in 1833, leaving the ship at Valparaiso, and arriving in Sydney in 1835 where he achieved instant success as a landscape artist. He gave drawing lessons to Eliza Hodgson. See Steele, Dr. John Gladstone. Conrad Martens in Queensland, 1978.
- Estimate: £2,000.00 - £4,000.00
This sale took place on Friday 20 July 2012
Login or REGISTER to bid on this item today.